Bolsonaro confirms Brazil will quit migration pact

Brazil had joined the UN pact last year, but the new Brazilian president said “not anybody can come into our home.”

Agência Brasil
pauta@ebc.com.br

Brasília – Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro confirms Brazil is going to quit Global Pact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration. This Wednesday (9), he tweeted that his initiative was in order to preserve the national values, “Brazil is sovereign to decide whether or not to accept migrants,” the president said. “No to the migration pact.”

Bolsonaro then justified his decision. “Whoever comes here should be subjected to our laws, rules and customs, and should know our hymn and respect our culture. Not anybody can come into our home, not anybody can enter Brazil via a pact adopted by others.”

The decision was reported to the Ministry of Foreign Relations, which instructed the diplomatic staff to report it to the United Nations (UN). Brazil joined the pact in December 2018.

Negotiated in 2017 and sealed last year, the migration pact stablished specific guidelines on receiving immigrants, preserving the respect for human rights and not discriminating nationalities. Among representatives of 193 countries, 181 signed the pact. United States and Hungary were among the nations voting against it. Dominican Republic, Eritrea and Libya abstained.

At the end of 2017, there was almost 25.4 million refugees throughout the world. Now, ten countries receive 60% of those people. Turkey only receives 3.5 million refugees, more than any other country.

The picture above shows the Angolan actress Ruth Mariana, who was in a play in Rio de Janeiro.

Translated by Guilherme Miranda

Press Release/UNHCR

Related Posts